Public consultations have resulted in a conclusion in Zaporizhzhia
On June 6, 2019, a press conference was organized by All-Ukrainian initiative “Active Community” in Zaporizhzhia’s Institute “Respublica” and the Olexandrivskyi district administration of the Zaporizhzhia City Council. The main subject of the press conference was an announcement on the results of the public consultation regarding the improvement of green zones.
Additionally, the second public consultation with the communities, which took place from April 20 to May 10, was also already finalized in Zaporizhzhia. The citizens were asked to answer the following question:
Which green areas are the most necessary to undergo a reconstruction?
- Students Park (near the Zaporizhzhia National University building)
- Pioneers Square (a bus stop on Bazarna street, former street of Angolenko)
- Border Guard Square (Freedom Square)
- Industry Square (intersection of Soborna Avenue and Zaporizhzhia Street, area of the flower pavilion)
- Pushkin Square (behind the memorial complex of the Chernobyl accident eliminators)
- Olexandr Square (intersection of Soborny Avenue and Academician Chabanenko St.)
The results of the poll showed that the place with most votes fell on the Pioneer Square. This position was reached with a significant results difference as in between the first and its following place. There were 697 people who voted for the first option (which represents 47% of those who voted). Subsequently, the Students Park was the second option that the people voted for in Zaporizhzhia (18.5%).
– Information regarding the public consultation process was disseminated by the means of mass media (Internet media, TV and radio), social networks, and printed posters which were stationed on public institutions, CNAPs, and elsewhere. In total, 1473 people took part in the consultation, which significantly exceeds the average activity rate in the regional centers. This proves the interest of the citizens of Zaporizhzhia in this matter, and their interest in the new interactive tools of participation in the process of local government, – said Olesya Lapikova, communications coordinator in the All-Ukrainian initiative «Active Community» in Zaporizhzhia.
After the public consultation came to an end, results were carefully discussed by the district administration of the Zaporizhzhia City Council, in the Olexandrivskyi district.
During the press conference, the head of the Olexandrivskyi district administration, Valery Mostovyi, announced the implementation of improvement measures in the Pioneers Square. This reconstruction will be held with the support of Mayor Volodymyr Buryak during the years of 2019-2020, and the work will be divided into two phases. These measures include dismantling works, track placement, restoration of green plantations (including the planting of lawns, bushes, and flowers), creation of a park infrastructure (lighting, benches, garbage disposals), and restoration of a fountain which will be reconstructed to a format of sculptural composition.
It is also planned to refurbish a bus stop complex on Bazarna Street, to a single and coherent architectural style.
There is a project of reconstruction of the square, which was created earlier, developed on the order of the city council. The project is relevant today and will be used during accomplishment works. In the future, it is planned to continue public consultations in Zaporozhzhia, in particular – not only on infrastructure issues.
Public consultation is a process of communication between public authorities and citizens (stakeholders), through which both parties become aware of different perspectives and proposals of government policy, and which enable citizens to influence the content in decisions which made by public authorities.
This public consultation in Zaporozhzhia took place within the framework of the “Roadmap for Government” project, which is being implemented with the support of the National Democratic Institute (NDI).